Saturday 24 November 2012

Worcester Goalkeeping Academy Session 4- Friday 26th October


Friday 26th October: Worcester Goalkeeping Academy Session 4
This was my 2nd session I had lead at the goalkeeping academy and this time I was on my own for the whole time, with no help from another coach. As with the last session my main aims were to improve footwork however this time I wanted to introduce some more challenging activities the test the goalkeepers a bit more. This time I had 4 goalkeepers, 2 were the same as I had last week but I also had 2 new goalkeepers that were slightly more experienced and were of a high standard.

I did the same warm up as I did last week as I wanted to keep it familiar to the goalkeepers and it’s also good to have the ball in their hands right from the start s it engages them more. We then moved straight into the 1st activity that was focused on a bit of footwork before the goalkeepers set themselves for a save from the server. The goalkeepers had to use tight footwork to get through some cones and then save a difficult shot from me, I wanted to start with this activity to see what the goalkeepers had learnt and remembered from last week’s session. Both Mike and Morgan remembered their footwork well and did the first activity very well with a vast improvement on what they showed at the start of last week. The two new goalkeepers also completed the activity to a high standard but there was one coaching point I picked up on with all four of them. When they were saving the shot they were stood on the goal line meaning there was no room for error and in a game it would be easier for the striker to score. I told them that once they had done the footwork they should take a couple of steps off of the line to help with the successful saving of the shot.

The 2nd activity I set up was a very important footwork drill set in a square where each cone had a number, when instructed to, the goalkeepers had to use good footwork to make their way to the specified cone before getting back to the middle and saving a shot. The key points I made from this activity were that the goalkeepers had to keep their heads up as much as possible with eyes on the ball rather than the floor. I also made sure that when they got back to the middle they were set with the ‘W’ shape in their hands, this would make sure that they would have an easier catch and there was less chance they would drop the ball. I noticed that Mike kept on dropping the ball and falling backwards when trying to make the save so I took him to the side and showed him how he could improve. I told him that he would have a much better chance of making a save if when he set himself he had his hands out in front of him and leant forwards a bit. When Mike went back into the square I saw a vast improvement, although he was not necessarily catching every ball he was pushing it away rather than falling backwards and watching the ball roll in.

The final a drill was one that Andy introduced to me last week that works on both fitness and handling. It is basically a triangle that goalkeepers have to sidestep around before making a low diving save on each face of the triangle. Although not many coaching points came of this it was good to put into practice what we had been learning about over the last couple of sessions and I was pleased to see that all four of the goalkeepers completed the triangle and their footwork had improved a lot over the 2 sessions we had had so far. We then finished with a game of ‘Last Keeper Standing’ but instead of running straight into the goal they had to complete a ladder of footwork, again just building slightly and reminding them what we had learnt.
I really enjoyed this session and it was good to see an improvement in Mike and Morgan especially. I look forwards to next week’s session, which is my last with this set of goalkeepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment