Friday 30 November 2012

Friday 16th November: Worcester Goalkeeping Academy session 6



Friday 16th November: Worcester Goalkeeping Academy session 6
After missing last week at the academy due to being in Bristol for reading week, I was looking forward to getting back into the coaching. After doing the usual volleys at the start of the session, I got the chance to have a few shots at me from the other coaches, this was enjoyable as it had been a while since I’d had a practise like that, I was pleased with how I performed in the net and was definitely warmed up! The goalkeepers then came back out from the indoor session with Julia and I was put in a coaching group with Andy, Jimmy and Harry, with Andy and Jimmy leading. We started by getting the goalkeepers to do SAQS, involving ladders, cones and hoops before saving a volley at the end. Each coach went on the end of an SAQ to serve the ‘keepers when they were ready, this is a good warm up activity that gets the hands warm and the feet moving.
Jimmy and Andy split the group in 2 and said we would be working on distribution; I went with Jimmy’s group and worked on a range of throws. We started by doing it in a triangle with a goalkeeper on each point, all they had to do was roll or throw to the next goalkeepers, although not overly challenging it was a good way of seeing what the standard of their distribution was, overall I would say it was good, but there was definitely some work to be done on accuracy!
The final activity was a mixture of shot stopping and distribution that made it a bit more game realistic for the ‘keepers. They would have a shot at them in the goal and then had to throw it though 2 cones, they had a choice of 3 areas to throw it and the use of cones was there to help try and improve accuracy. The ‘keepers coped with this well and after a while we made it a bit more difficult by progressing the throws; instead of them choosing where to throw or roll it I shouted out a colour and they would have to get it through the 2 cones that were that colour this challenged their reactions as well as their accuracy.
After this we finished with a game of last man standing before. After the sessions a couple of the ‘keepers and all the coaches stayed behind to have some shots and tips from Bernie, who is an experienced goalkeeping coach. The activities we did for the 25 minutes were good fun and again I enjoyed being able to dive around a bit for myself and testing myself against a decent standard of shooting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment